Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden - Jessica Sorensen


There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

(New Adult Contemporary)*Mature Content** Recommended for ages 17+ due to sexual situations and language.

"A compelling and superbly written story that will keep you captivated and consumed by truly loveable characters and a storyline that will undoubtedly leave its mark on your heart." --Natasha is a Book Junkie

The next review is from a fan...

This is the second book I read in a matter of weeks that ended on a total cliffhanger. It leaves me completely frustrated. I'm totally the girl that begs her husband to open Christmas presents early because I can't handle the anticipation nor do I have any patience. Jessica has already indicated that she is in the process of writing book #2 - very happy about that.

Any way, I digress. Overall, I really liked this booked. I'd have to say it's probably one of the best New Adult books I've read this year. The story follows Callie and Kayden who actually went to the same high school. They were not friends in high school but end up at the same college. Both have some serious issues (which I will not expand upon as to not ruin it) but end up finding comfort and happiness in the other. For having some messed up things happen to them, it's so refreshing seeing their relationship unfold. You can't help but feel happy for them.

Plus there were some major bonus factors that made this book even better:

The Gay BFF - OMG, how could you not love Seth? He is such a good friend to Callie. He breaks her out of her shell and he's someone she can finally trust. A few of my favorite Seth quotes:

"Fine, but when I get back to my room, I'm adding don't take s*** from anyone to the list."

I nod with my heart squeezing inside my chest. "Yeah, I'm going. Just as long as Kayden will give me a ride."
He covers his mouth with his hand to muffle his laughter. "I bet he would love to give you a ride."

"I'm not dancing," I argue, cringing. "Dancing equals touching and getting close to people. I just can't do it."
"Yes, you can. You've done it with me like a hundred times," he encourages. "I mean, think about when we first met. You would barely talk to me and you always looked like you were going to stab me with a pencil or something. Now look at you. You're sitting on my bed in my room, just you and I. You've come so far my little Callie girl."
"But you're you." I sigh, discouraged. "I trust you."
"Yes, but I had to earn it."
"I know and I'm so sorry for making you do that. I'm surprised you stuck around like you did."
He hops off the bed and opens the top dresser drawer. "Whatever. You were so worth it."

The b*tch that gets her comeuppance - Daisy is just such a b*tch. I enjoyed that she got what she deserved in the end - I actually wouldn't have minded if it was a little worse :)

The cliffhanger - I fully realize that I just complained about there being a cliffhanger. But it means that there will be a second book about Callie and Kayden. I can't wait to see the rest of their story. I also read that Jessica said she was thinking of doing a third book about one of the secondary characters (Seth or Luke perhaps?) which would also be awesome.

All in all, if you're looking for a New Adult contemporary romance, I'd definitely recommend this one. It is a bit heavier in terms of the emotions and situations the characters are put through - definitely not a light beach read. But it's the start of winter where I live so I won't be reading by the beach anytime soon :)

AND

In the existence of our lives, there is a single coincidence that brings us together and for a moment, our hearts beat as one.

This book was so heartwrenching and heartwarming at the same time. A chance encounter brings Callie to Kayden's rescue. A coincidental meeting at college, begins their surprising friendship/relationship. They are both hiding tragedies and scars that have shaped their views on their lives and future. But despite the attraction to each other, both are terrified of feelings, intimacy, and even touch so it is not easy to move forward and build trust. His best friend Luke and her new friend Seth are also affected by their pasts and the quartet become an unlikely support for each other. I loved these characters and how they interacted and were there for each other.

My heart broke for both Callie and Kayden and how deep their wounds affected them. They both had such emotional and physical symptoms of their tragic pasts. I was emotionally invested in every small victory that Callie and Kayden made together. I loved how protective they became of each other despite being afraid to face their own demons. But together they begin to realize what it is to truly live and feel.

Callie: It's like I'm not me anymore, like he's changed me into a girl who thinks about the possibilities for life and love.

Kayden: I realize that maybe I'm the one avoiding her because she makes me feel things I'm not used to; the dirty dreams, the protectiveness, the way my stupid heart starts to beat like it's finally alive.

Kayden: The way I feel is irreversible, overtaken, wanted, needed, connected. I'll never be able to let it go.

Kayden: "Callie, you're the only person that'e ever made me feel happy about anything. That night you saved me, you changed something in me--you made me want to live."

I was so glad that Jessica gave us both Callie and Kayden's POV. Their inner monologues were deep and gave so many clues into their suffering and fears.

Callie: I let is slip out, hoping he'd freak out and let me go, but he did the opposite. He held on, allowing me to cry, letting me break apart, and giving me more than he'll ever know.

Kayden: All I've ever seen in my life, is people leaving, not caring, hitting, yelling, telling me to suck it up. But then Callie comes along and tells me I can change it--that I deserve so much better It's so simple yet her words mean to much to me.

I was so hoping for a sweet, happy ending. I was not mentally prepared for a cliffhanger! A serious cliffhanger at that, and really hope Jessica does not take too long to put out book 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment